Now that it's officially Christmas season and the house is decorated and there is Christmas music playing, I started thinking about what to get Audrey for Christmas. This being her first Christmas I want it to be something special, something she'll remember. And then I remembered that she'll be 7 1/2 months at Christmas and she won't remember anything! When we were in Nebraska before Thanksgiving, she opened some presents. acutally, Tyson opened them for her as she tried to eat the wrapping paper:

Of course, she has no idea what is happening and doesn't understand that someone thought very carefully about what to get her and that they spent money on the gift. she's in awe of the pretty paper!
My mind immediately jumps to that old Sears commercial where the mom and dad are busily unwrapping 2 huge boxes while they're asking their baby "I wonder what you got for Christmas, (any name here)!?!? Oh! Look! You got a new washer and dryer!! how exciting!" and the baby smiles because mom and dad are excited and using a happy voice.
We're not going to get her a new washer and dryer, don't worry. but really, she doesn't care what she opens up, as long as she can crinkle up the paper and try to eat it.
So...I think we're going to get her a new carseat for Christmas! she's almost outgrown her first one and we're going to have to buy a new one within a few months anyway (and car seats are not cheap!), so why not let her open it up for Christmas? and I'll probably wrap up some clothes that we've bought her that don't fit her yet. and I did get her some little hair clips so we'll put those in her stocking. and we'll start some traditions with her that will mean more than presents anyway, right?
so...what I want to know is if you think we're being completely lame by not getting her lots of toys and such or if we're simply being smart by taking advantage of the one Christmas when we can do this...what do you think?


5 comments:
I say, rock on sista! She won't know the difference and really, all she needs, she has already. So don't sweat the present thing. There's always next year and she will be older and enjoy getting toys almost as much as the wrapping paper and boxes they come in. I think it's lame to overbuy. (Now, remind me of this when I have grandchildren!)
Well, seeing as Collin hasn't even arrived yet, what do I really know. However, I have started thinking about next Christmas when Collin will be roughly 9 months old and was wondering the exact same thing...what do we get him? He won't remember anyway. So, I think it's very smart!! That's what we'll be doing next Christmas.
I can't remember very many presents that I got as kid but I do remember that every year on Christmas Eve my family would drink eggnog while my dad read the Christmas story from the bible. When I think back to Christmas as a child that is what I remember--presents are really overdone sometimes and it is the memories and traditions that really matter and they are what she will remember when she is older and something that she can keep with her throughout the years.
Thanks for the comment. I think it only took 2 wks. for Gracie's to fall off, but I was very glad and so tired of cleaning it. We aren't buying Gracie very much for Christmas either. We are buying her the Fisher Price Sing-Along Stage. I thought she would enjoy it and it is not too expensive. My sis. in-law is buying her new car seat so we got that covered. I bought her a Bible story book and will probably get new bibs and socks to go in her stocking and that's probably it. They will probably both have so many other people buy them toys and clothes so I agree, why worry with it (plus at our house the budget is pretty tight on only one income!)
I agree with what you are doing. Berek and I have thought the same thing about Brevin. He will probably sleep through everything! We bought him a few toys and an outfit. His stocking will have some bath toys in it since he finally loves his bath time, along with some teether toys because EVERYTHING is going in his mouth right now. We aren't doing it up really big this year because he doesn't know what is going on and he won't remember it. Lately, it seems like we are spending money on things he needs weekly...more sleepers, a winter stocking cap, socks, etc. With less income this Christmas, I think this is a good time to take advantage of keeping it low key. Creating some traditions is a good idea. I think I am going to buy Brevin a Christmas book for us to read together every year. I already bought him one for this year...he LOVES story time! Traditions are priceless and more memorable.
Post a Comment