Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Curiosity

(First of all, I want to wish my wonderful husband a very happy 29th birthday!! I love you, hun!)

As we inch closer and closer to the arrival of our second child, we're both getting to that "we're really getting curious about the gender of the baby" stage. We've been through this before since we didn't find out what Audrey was until the doctor announced "it's a girl!" as she was laid on my chest for the first time. (simply, an amazing moment, by the way!) But this time my curiosity level is through the roof! With about 7 weeks to go, I find my thoughts wandering to what our home and lives would look like and how different they would be depending on the gender of #2. We like the look of both scenarios, but for some reason, I'm way more curious at this stage in the pregnancy to find out than I was the first time around!

Let me explain: When we were pregnant the first time around, it didn't seem to matter to either of us if we had a boy or a girl. Tyson, obviously, wanted a son, but we knew we didn't want only one child, so he knew it wasn't worth getting all worked up over the first child being a boy. I want a son at sometime, too, but just as much as I wanted a boy, I wanted a girl that much, too. Basically, we'd like to have at least one of each by the time we're done having kids. That being said, it would be nice to have a boy this time and have the pressure taken off to have one of each, but we are also thinking that we want more than 2 kids, so why should we care if this one is a boy or girl? #3 (or possibly #4) could be a boy. anyway...

All that to say...

Throughout the last two years we've had many friends have babies and one thing we noticed was that most of them had an ultrasound around 35-37 weeks. For whatever reason, we did not have an ultrasound that late with Audrey; our "big" ultrasound at 20 weeks was our last one. So...at my last appointment, my doctor mentioned doing an ultrasound in about a month, so we now have one last ultrasound scheduled before we meet our new little one. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that a tiny, itty-bitty, really small part of me just wants to find out. And for those of you that really know me, that's a big deal. That's how curious I am!!! Tyson is now the one holding strong saying "we've already made it this far, we might as well wait a couple more weeks." I don't think I would actually give in when the day of the ultrasound came, but it's nice to know that Tyson will be there reminding me of how much I want that same moment with #2 that we had when we found out #1 was a girl. I'm not sure when the roles reversed, but I am very glad that it happened or else we might cave in.

But who knows...we still have about 3 weeks to decide! ;)

5 comments:

Pambo said...

I don't know how you do it. In the old days, we had no choice, but it's really hard to find gender neutral clothing since most everyone finds out early. As a future grandma, I am on pins and needles. I need to know so that I can shop, shop, did I mention shop? Stay strong. If you've waited this long, why not wait a few more weeks. (Ashlee, of you read this, ignore it! You have to find out if at all possible, because, well, the shopping thing.

Katie said...

Oh man, I'm so conflicted because I want to know, too, but I agree with Pam--hold out just a little longer!! Having found out with Cub, I can say the birth was still amazing for us, BUT, only you know how you felt with Audrey and if you want that feeling again ... just wait for it!!

Of course if you do decide to find out, please contact me as soon as possible to let me know. :) :)

Erin said...

Ahhhh, don't do it!!! You've held out so long! But really, it is up to you guys...and, like Katie, you've gotta let us know if you change your mind and find out! :)

Tyson and Lisa said...

I was in, no way, implying that the birth experience was better because we didn't find out, but since I loved it...that's the experience I want again. that's all. and if we find out...I guess we'll tell you guys. ;)

Katie said...

Oh goodness, that wasn't how I took it at all!! I just meant that if you find out, it would be okay, but I think you should wait since you enjoyed waiting so much with Audrey!!

I should have worded it differently. :)