Tuesday, February 16, 2010

to talk or not to talk

Yesterday, I got a massage. It was great to get away for a little bit by myself and just relax and have someone work on my aching muscles. Everything was just as I expected it to be...except for the talking.

I've had a few massages over the years and for the first few minutes, there's casual chit-chat just to break the ice, then the majority of the time is spent with just the sound of the water feature and the relaxing background music playing.

Not this time. Just as I was really getting relaxed, she would ask me another question. And all of the questions were about being pregnant.

Seriously, lady...of all people you should understand that I'm sick of answering questions/talking about being pregnant and I'm here getting a massage to JUST RELAX! But, she couldn't help herself. Like almost every other person that I cross paths with, I'm pregnant, which (obviously) means that I want to talk about it with complete strangers. Normally, I love being asked questions, but NOT during a massage!

so...what's your take on massages and talking? Am I justified in being annoyed? Or have any of you had someone talk to you the whole time they massaged you? just wondering!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Boo! I hate when they talk to you during the massage! I just had one last week, and my girl did NOT chit chat the whole time, thankfully. The only time we had to talk was when I needed to shift positions, etc. Even though I had to lay on my back for a bit of the massage, she put a cloth over my eyes so we wouldn't have to even make weird eye contact. That stinks that your girl was so chatty!! :( Hope the massage part was good--you deserve to relax!

Katie said...

I've never had a massage, so I can't say ... but I'm thinking if I'm nice and relaxed, I want my mind to go to the beaches of Cozumel ... not to the aches and pains I'm experiencing thanks to pregnancy!!

Stacy said...

Never had one but I would say no talking! Well I hope your massage felt good.
Ps you have sweet Dad I really enjoy working with him.

Fred Love said...

Yeah - I'm all about NOT talking. And you girls who've never had a massage (especially the pregnant one) need to make yourself an appointment TODAY!

Anonymous said...

The last time I got a massage, the girl tried to talk my head off. Well, she talked hers off to herself and I quit responding. That is so annoying! So, I won't ever go back there. I think some people are uncomfortable with silence...I guess those people shouldn't be giving massages!