Monday, November 23, 2009

the big question

The question everyone is asking us lately is: "when can you find out what you're having?" I'm guessing that we could find out the first week of January, which is when I'll be 20 weeks along. Most of my friends that are pregnant are having "the big ultrasound" and thus, finding out around 18 weeks or even earlier. But...considering, we will be out of town for 2 weeks straight starting on week 18, I won't be having "the big ultrasound" until January.

Anyway, when people ask me this question, it's usually followed by, "oh, wait, you didn't find out with Audrey did, you?? Are you going to find out this time?!?"

And right now, I have no idea what to say.

I want another surprise. Tyson wants to know.

Both Tyson and I LOVED not knowing the first time around. We registered for everything neutral, so no matter what we had we could keep reusing all of the big items for all of our kids. The nursery is done in neutral colors so Audrey will move out and baby #2 will take over what was her room and there will be no need to redo anything. We have a LOT of neutral newborn and 0-3 month onesies and sleepers and that's what #2 will probably be in for a while anyway.

I LOVED the anticipation and guessing and wondering and speculating and the big moment when the baby comes out and the doctor announces "it's a ...!" And I want to do it again! Tyson doesn't even have a good reason for wanting to know. He just wants to know. So...do I just play the "I'm carrying this baby for 9 months and am going to push this baby out of me!" card, so I can win? or do I give in?

so, what I want to hear are pros and cons of finding out/not finding out. any helpful suggestions to make this decision any easier?

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hmmm, this is a toughy. As someone who found out, I can confidently say when they said, "It looks like we have a little boy here!!" we both cried. I can't compare it to not finding out, because we didn't wait, but the moment was amazing. I guess I'm saying that finding out early isn't necessarily not-fun as compared to finding out the day of the birth, unless you've done both and prefer one over the other. Does that make sense??

That being said, I think you should win this one, simply because you ARE carrying the baby!! Ha! When do we ever get to play that card, really??

Mary Nelson said...

As a momma who HAD to find out with my first...and now my second, I don't really know what it would be like otherwise.

However, I can assure you, regardless whether you find out the sex of the baby or not, you will still have all the same anticipation...just for different reasons! Although we knew it was a girl with Myka, there was still so much anticipation about finding out and knowing who would she look like, would she have hair/no hair, how big would she be, etc It's the same with this child too! I'm already daydreaming about holding her for the first time, watching Myka play dolls with her little sister, wondering who she will look like, etc!

If you decide to find out, you can keep the name a secret until the birthday! That way, the anticipation builds with all of your family and friends! (Except, you could tell me!)