I had a "frightening/oh, no-I'm-a-horrible-mom/oops" moment this morning.
I was giving Audrey a bath. (We normally do baths in before bed, but we ran out of time last night running around and we got home just in time to feed her and put her to bed, and she was begging to go to bed, so I knew it wouldn't be worth it to give her a bath, which gets her wound up, just to try to get her to go to sleep. anyway...)
like I said, I was giving Audrey a bath this morning. Now some of you may judge me when I say this, but there are times that I have left Audrey in the tub by herself for a few moments, but seriously, it's only been for a few seconds, I promise. And she's always been fine. The phone rang (I know, a horrible reason) and I knew it was Tyson, so I took three steps out of the bathroom to reach the phone, and in those few moments, I heard a thud and silence, followed by crying. I turn back into the bathroom and naked little Audrey is on all fours outside of the tub with her eyes shut tight, bottom lip curled down, about to let out another cry and sitting next to her is one of her bath toys.
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! How did that happen so fast?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I scooped her up and she continued to cry for about 20 seconds and then she was fine. I did a thorough body check and there were no bumps or bruises or blood or broken bones so I put her back in the tub and we finished bath time...like nothing ever happened. She giggled and laughed and chewed on her bath toys and chattered away like usual.
Now...I know, "NEVER leave a baby in the tub by themselves!!!!!" I can't even tell you the number of times I've read that or have been told that. And now I understand why. I was only away for 3 seconds. THREE seconds!! One mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi. that's all!
I'm just thankful that she's ok. and I definitely learned my lesson.
so, to all you moms (and moms to be) out there...don't make this same mistake...learn this lesson from me.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
thanks for sharing your story and for your honesty! i will make sure to keep a close eye on parker :)
Yikes! Glad she was okay!!
I do stupid stuff like that all of the time. Yesterday Gracie was taking a bath and I was at the sink doing my make-up (we have a very small bathroom so I was really close) and I turned around to check on her and she had bit off a piece of a bar of soap. Maybe she will remember how bad it was when I threaten to wash her mouth out with soap someday :)
I think every mom in the world has left their child in the tub alone for just a second. Audrey is one fast little girl! Don't beat yourself up - it was scary for both of you but she's fine, you're fine and I'm glad. Thank goodness we now have cordless phones you can take into the bathroom.
Well I read your post yesterday and thought to myself I have done that million of time with my kids! My laundry room is right next to there bathroom so I would run in there real fast. Glad she is ok.
Here is my feel bad story happened tonight. I cut up potatoes and left the knife a little pamper cheif one on the counter with the cutting board. Never thinking my son who loves to cut up the potatoe rinds but with his plastic knife would get up there and start cutting with knife. I didn't even know he was cutting till he starts screaming and holding his finger he a cut it with my knife. I was in the same room too.
He is alright but it scared me.
I echo Silvy -- thanks for your honesty!
I had a bad bath moment this morning, too ... the water was a bit too hot, apparently, which I did not realize until I lifted him out of the tub and noticed his legs and rear were BRIGHT RED. I frantically tried to turn on the cold water and at that moment Caleb tried moving and hit his head on the side of the tub. We were both in tears.
Mom of the Year Award, right here!! :)
Post a Comment