Now that the weather has changed from the monsoon season here (22 straight days of rain), I've resumed my daily walks with Audrey. If there's one thing she loves, it's being outside.
And now that it's getting warmer (yay!) we're walking in the morning after we have breakfast and before her morning nap, which is allowing us to see a whole different group of people out and about in our neighborhood. I love briskly walking along and having a neighbor wave and shout "good morning! I sure am glad the weather is nice again!" I reply with something lame like, "good morning to you, too, and we are definitely enjoying this weather while we can!" These small conversations are considered normal and they're part of what I love about our neighborhood.
But, I've had some awkward conversations lately, too. This morning, as I started my walk, I decided that I wanted to run the first part. I ran a lot in high school (I was in cross-country, basketball and track) and got burned out, so I haven't ran in a long time. so, I ran a while and then felt satisfied with the distance I'd run and walked the rest of my route as usual. About 3 minutes after I stopped running, I came up behind a lady that was walking, and as I was about to pass her, she looked at me and said "oh. you're not running this morning!" what?!? what am I supposed to say to that? my first instinct is to say "yes I did!" but I'm obviously not the person she thinks she's I am, since the running I just did was the most running I'd done in years, but I don't want to make it too awkward for her, so started replying as my mind was still thinking of something to say and this is what came out: "I decided to walk this part!" That was really dumb. what does that sentence even mean? uh! sometimes small talk can be so awkward!
(well, this second one doesn't really qualify as a conversation since I never actually said anything) About a week ago, while I was out walking, some of the neighborhood kids were on their way to school. There was a group of 4 boys, I would say 4th or 5th grade, that were walking ahead of me on the opposite sidewalk. One of them turned around and noticed me (pushing my daughter in the stroller), and he quickly turned around, said something and then they all *nonchalantly* (yeah, right) each turned around and looked at me. it was very awkward. and I was completely covered up! I was wearing normal length shorts, a tank top with a zip-up fleece over it and my hair was in a ponytail. I thought the awkwardness was over, but then about 30 seconds later I heard "hey, hot girl!" followed by "HE said it!" I didn't say anything or even look at them and luckily it was time for me to turn. I almost wanted to yell something like "I'm old enough to be your mom!" or something about the fact that I could be their teacher, but I just let it go. or else...maybe...they were talking to Audrey...that's a whole other issue!
have you ever had any weird conversations while you're out, just trying to get some fresh air and exercise?!? please, tell.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I had an awkward conversation with a police officer that pulled me over (for the first time in my life). I was so nervous and when he asked for my drivers license and insurance verification I answered, "Yes please." He kept a straight face, but I could see him laughing at my in my rear view mirror.
Post a Comment