Audrey has RSV.
"what is RSV?" you ask. let me tell you. it's not fun.
The following is taken directly from kidshealth.org, the first website that popped up when I typed in RSV...I don't know how to explain it myself, so this will have to work:
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a major cause of respiratory illness in young children. RSV causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages. In adults, it may only produce symptoms of a common cold, such as a stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, mild headache, cough, fever, and a general feeling of being ill. But RSV infections can lead to other more serious illnesses in premature babies and kids with diseases that affect the lungs, heart, or immune system.
RSV is highly contagious, and can be spread through droplets containing the virus when a person coughs or sneezes. The virus can also live on surfaces such as countertops or doorknobs, and on hands and clothing. RSV can be easily spread when a person touches an object or surface contaminated with the virus. The infection can spread rapidly through schools and child-care centers. Infants often get it when older kids carry the virus home from school and pass it to them. Almost all kids are infected with RSV at least once by the time they are 2 years old.
RSV infections often occur in epidemics that last from late fall through early spring. Respiratory illness caused by RSV — such as bronchiolitis or pneumonia — usually lasts about a week, but some cases may last several weeks. Doctors typically diagnose RSV by taking a medical history and doing a physical exam. Generally, in healthy kids, it's not necessary to distinguish RSV from a common cold. But in cases where a child has other health conditions, a doctor might want to make a specific diagnosis. RSV is typically identified in nasal secretions, which can be collected either with a cotton swab or by suction through a bulb syringe.
Because of all this, we'll be hanging out in our house for a while. The Dr. said that if it doesn't get worse in 48 hours (it's been 24 hours already) then she'll probably not need breathing treatments...I'm praying we'll make it through the next 24 hours with nothing worsening...
The poor thing is miserable. She's lost her voice, which makes all of her noises, that used to be oh-so-cute, sound sooooo sad! She has a bad cough and lots of crud in her throat and when she coughs it really hurts her and she tries to cry but she can't because she can't make any noise, so all that comes out is a pathetic little whine and a really sad face. all the coughing makes her wake up from any kind of sleeping, naps and nighttime, so no one is getting very good sleep around here lately. Tyson is still fighting being sick (which is where Audrey got it) and he feels horrible that he gave it to her. he says that he just couldn't help but love on her when he gets home from work. I don't blame him.
so, that's what we're up to right now! wish us luck for the next 24 hours!
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I know I already wrote this in an e-mail, but I'll say it again--You are a GREAT Mom and I know Audrey will pull through. I'm so sorry she's sick! My heart hurts for you both. I can't imagine her sweet voice being raspy and sad ... oh it makes me sad, too! If you need ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to ask. Love you, friend!
Oh goodness, poor thing! I hope her condition improves over the next few hours so she doesn't have to do the breathing treatments. Bummer. Sorry, friend!
Okay, once again, that was me as Russell. Sorry!
When I saw "RSV" on the title first thing I thought was Poor Baby. Then poor mom and dad. Hope Audrey gets much better in the next 24 hours so she won't have to have breathing treatments.
Hi Lisa. This is Russell's cousin Becky. I read your blog from time to time but have never commented. I just wanted to say I feel your pain. My sweet Chloe had RSV 2 years ago and it was not fun at all. We had to rush her to the emergency room and that's when we found out what it was. Thank goodness she didn't have to stay in the hospital and she didn't need breathing treatments. I'm a stay at home mom too and I was shocked that Chloe had it. I don't know where she got it. It took about a week and she was back to her old self. Hang in there. I'm saying a prayer for all of you.
ooooh man! I feel so bad for her and you guys have to watch her in agony. AFter just getting over pneumonia I feel her pain, but can't imagine a little one going through similar things! one thing good to do is put garlic oil on her feet with socks on. It will fight any infection. And tons of vitamin C!
I'm praying for you guys!
Post a Comment