Tuesday, February 17, 2009

last second surprise

(add another one to the family list that got the "bug" this weekend...my dad fell victim yesterday. my mom and sister are still holding strong, as far as I know.)

Yesterday afternoon my dad called to see if I wanted to go with him to Tyson's church league basketball game last night at 9. I immediately said "no" because I hadn't showered all day and Audrey had already had both naps (I usually shower while she naps) and because I still didn't have much of an appetite all day. My dad and I continued to talk and then I remembered that Tyson was going to come home early from his class so he could pack for his business trip to Wichita today and so he could get a haircut before he went on the trip. Then I didn't think it would work at all.

Somewhere during our conversation, I decided that it would be a lot of fun to just surprise Tyson and show up at his game with my dad. Audrey would already be sleeping and my mom would be able to sit at our house and "watch" Audrey in case she woke up.

So I didn't shower, I straightened my dried-funny-because-I-didn't-blow-dry-it-hair, put on a little make-up and stayed in pj's so Tyson wouldn't suspect anything when he came home. Sure enough, when he came home, I helped him pick out some clothes for his trip and then gave him a haircut and he went on his way to the game. I had five minutes to change clothes and finish getting ready and then my parents showed up and my dad and I headed to the game.

and Tyson's face was priceless when we walked in the gym.

it was fun to surprise him...and the rest of the team, for that matter. you see, the last few years, our church basketball team has always had quite a following. All the wives would go and some of their parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles would show up to cheer the guys on. Not so much any more. All of the wives are either pregnant or else we already have babies at home that have a bedtime. it was fun to sit there with my dad and chat and cheer the guys on to victory!

I'm really glad my dad called.

4 comments:

Kristal {Love, Grace & Hope} said...

You're a good wife, Lisa! :) I know Robert appreciated the support from you and your dad!! Thanks for picking up the slack for me. :)

Katie said...

Aw, yay!! I'm glad you're feeling better, too. I keep hoping you'll show up at Bible Study--maybe next week!! Is Audrey getting better yet??

Erin said...

I miss those church games! Glad you got to go cheer him on! :)

Heather said...

I miss going to the games! I know Gary misses playing in them also! Are you going to the flag football game on March 7th?